Anddd suddenly, there’s no Oct part 2 bahahaha. I’m home. And home, you’re too busy doing you’re not sure what and don’t have time for blogging. I actually love blogging the most compared to other social media platforms because there’s no word limits and I can write whatever I want. And here, you have to know my link. You’re not like have to see/read my updates, unlike FB or IG. Of course you can choose to hide/unfollow/block whatever, but maksud I, kalau you nak baca baru you buka. So if you’re annoyed with what you read, you can’t blame me hahaha.
Anyway, people’s been wondering why I haven’t finished with my thesis corrections yet. It’s been months since viva, and I’ve only started with repeating some of my lab work late august. Let me list it here so that you (and probably me too) know why it’s not as easy as you (or I too) thought and why it took so long. Of course some of them was my own fault, but that happened two years ago. I only learn of the effect(s) now hahaha padan muka. Here goes;
- I passed on a scale of 3. Major corrections with a given 9 month to submit my final hard-bound, 50k worth of thesis. Or maybe 60. Why?
- I started with six isolates, and went to clone Isolate B1 for the first two years of my master and failed. It wasn’t successful, and it consumed so much of my time and money and energy and moral.
- The thing is, you can’t simply just change your sample or re-start with something new. You have to prove that it wasn’t working and to do that; I did every-single-thing I could.
- So eventually B1 didn’t happen. I finally got the green light to proceed with B10.
- B10 was alright. Took another three semesters to clone, express and purify. Also wrote my thesis and submitted the ten copies at the very last minute. I didn’t want to proceed, but my sv was afraid I won’t have much data to put. Might jeopardise the whole thing so I kept doing more work. Did my assay a week before I submitted my draft.
- I ended up putting results for both B1 and B10. Also included all six which I began with. And all unsuccessfulness for B1 was there as well. I didn’t want to walk in and got ‘you don’t have enough data’ as to why I put results for both.
- Viva was horrid.
- I was asked to pick one.
- Or retain both but add more supporting references.
- Which is not available because cloning apparently is super easy to many and no one reported on failures before.
- So I chose to stick with B10 since it was successful.
- But I didn’t manage to purify B10 because the proteins got washed out in the columns and didn’t bind to the resin. And I was already into my eight semester I don’t have time/money/energy to continue. I’ve reached the maximum candidature limit.
- So my ultimate objective was not achieved.
- And my whole project will be deemed as a failure. (The examiner actually wrote this you know)
- So I have to change my title.
- And my objectives. And discussions. And conclusion.
- And must include all sorts of photos.
- I’ve picked only the best to put in my thesis.
- But some were unnecessary -_____-‘ because they’re a negative.
- And the ones I have to put, I no longer have.
- During my 3rd sem, I lost all my data due to some silly incident/accident.
- Haven’t had the time to repeat.
- Must repeat now.
- Already repeated and spent one and a half month doing that.
- Because psychrophilic/psychrotolerant bacteria from Arctic took a veryyy long time to grow.
- And now I’m looking into adding moreeee discussions since I chose to stick with B10.
- I have to add and remove a lot. A lot.
- I have to make amendments cover to cover, literally.
- My references suck big time.
- Already settled that.
- Now to adding more supporting statements and formatting.
- And basically dying a little inside.
- The end is so near but also very far.
I guess that’s enough. The summary of my journey. I know no one can help me with this, but your prayers. Your prayers will, InsyaAllah.
Till then, ask me again in December okay? Late December. Thank you.
Eyhh, other people one and a half year already graduated. You so long?!
ps: And if you were to ask me ‘should I pursue, Kiah?’, my honest answer is ‘Sure. Kalau you kaya. Atau pandai gila dapat biasiswa.’ Jawapan positif sikit ‘Of course caaann, if that’s what you really want.’
My friends and I, those who have made it or those who don’t, share one struggle in common. Money. In the end, we’re all rushing and feeling down because our financial was critical and fees must be paid, rents, bills, food. We have loans circling our waist, and stomach, and head, let’s just say we’re a walking mummia of loans hahaha. But all in all, we… survived. Thank you, everyone.